I'm a die hard fan of Korean food and Dolsot bibimbap (돌솥 비빔밥, "dolsot" meaning "stone pot"), is my favorite one. Almost every second day I eat this.
It is served in a bowl of warm white rice topped with namul (sautéed and seasoned vegetables) and gochujang (chili pepper paste). A raw or fried egg and sliced meat are common additions. The ingredients are stirred together thoroughly just before eating.
The Stone pot (dolsot) is so hot that anything that touches it sizzles for minutes. Before the rice is placed in the bowl, the bottom of the bowl is coated with sesame oil, making the layer of the rice touching the bowl golden brown and crispy.
Bibimbap is cheap and easy to make, requiring a short preparation time and few ingredients. Most ingredients are available in your kitchen. Though I do not have Dolsot (stone pot) still I prepare it as lunch specially on Sunday with lots of variations. I prepare egg poach and put all things together and then keep it in hot oven for 6/7 minute. But eating in Dolsot is really the main fun as it makes crackling sound while eating.
Although it is a high calorie food, I cut it's calories by using lean meat and some times fish, the portions are enormous, meaning you stay full longer. Bibimbap never uses any artificial ingredients--natural, organic ingredients make the bulk of this diet dish. Green leafy vegetables, lean meat, and shredded seaweed provide numerous health and dietary benefits to people who want to lose weight fast, so make sure to fill up.
* I used Stir fried dried Anchovy instead of Meat.
I have adapted this recipe from Maangchi
I'm great fan of her recipes and videos.
Bibimbap (Mixed rice with vegetables)
For 4- 6 servings.
a package of bean sprouts
a bunch of spinach
2 small size of zucchinis
5-7 Shiitake mushrooms
fern brakes (kosari) * I used cut Ottogi seaweeds
200 grams of ground beef (about half a pound) * I used Fish
1 small carrot, eggs
soy sauce, hot pepper paste, garlic, sesame seeds, sesame oil, and vegetable oilRecipe:
Arrange everything on a platter.
1. Cook rice. You can use a rice cooker or a stainless pot.
2. Next, you need to prepare a large platter to put all your ingredients on. Rinse your bean sprouts 3 times and put them in a pot with a cup of water. Add 1 ts of salt and cook for 20 minutes. Drain water and mix it with 1 clove of minced garlic, sesame oil and a pinch of salt.
3. Put it on the platter.
4. Put your spinach in a pot of boiling water and stir it for a minute. Then rinse it in cold water a few times and squeeze it lightly. Mix it with a pinch of salt, 1 ts of soy sauce, 1 clove of minced garlic and sesame oil. Put it on the platter
5. Cut 2 small size zucchinis into thin strips, sprinkle them with a pinch of salt, and then mix them together. A few minutes later, sauté them in a pan over high heat. When it’s cooked, it will look a little translucent. Put it on the platter.
6. You can buy soaked and cooked “kosari” at a Korean grocery store. Prepare about 2 or 3 cups of kosari for this 4 servings of bibimbap. Cut it into pieces 5-7 cm long and sauté in a heated pan with 1 ts of vegetable oil. Stir and add 1 tbs of soy sauce, 1/2 tbs of sugar, and cook them for 1-2 minutes. Add sesame oil. Put it on the platter.
7. Slice shitake mushrooms thinly and sauté with 1 ts of vegetable oil. Add 2 ts of soy sauce and 1 or 2 ts of sugar and stir it for 2 minutes. Add some sesame oil, and put it on the platter.
8. On a heated pan, put some oil and 200 grams of ground beef and stir it. Add 4 cloves of minced garlic, 1 tbs of soy sauce, 1/2 tbs of sugar, a little grounded black pepper, and sesame oil.
9.Put it on the platter.
10.Cut a carrot into strips, sauté it for 30 seconds and put it on the platter.
11. prepare eggs with sunny side up.
12. Put your rice In a big bowl, and attractively display all your vegetables and meat t. Place the sunny side up egg on the center.
13. Serve it with sesame oil and hot pepper paste.
14. Lastly, mix it up and eat!